Sell Off Old Traps?

Annie Jin (China) wrote on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Im still a novice and I dont no wether or not i should sell my old traps or if i need it l8er in the other hunting areas. Can sum1 help me? LeeAnn Montemayor (San Antonio, TX) wrote on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:49 PM I haven't needed any of the cheaper pieces...i'm up to the swiss army trap, but i alternate between a stone base and an explosive base...but that's just me. i have heard tell that you need the bot (the highest trap) for the lab, but it has negative cheese effect...so you might want to alternate between other pieces when you are not in the lab...i personally think it's personal preference. selling the old pieces helps when you're new to get a little bit of quick cash...so that's what i did....hope that helped, i'm kind of a rambler :) Townsend Duong (Stanford) replied to Annie's post on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM I would suggest keeping at least the Target base, the Stone base, the Explosive base, your highest level weapon, and one weapon with high luck (Mary O'Nette or Swiss Army). If you don't need the gold immediately, you should not sell your old components. You get very little gold for them from the trapsmith, and the upcoming marketplace feature might allow you to sell them to other players for a little better. The Target base has a 20% accuracy bonus, which becomes very useful at the high levels when you have the Swiss Army or Deathbot. I exclusively use the Target base and the Explosive base. I never use the Stone base, although some top hunters do that. My reasoning is that the Stone base optimizes for the wrong problem: staleness of cheese. For the most advanced hunters, the problem is lost opportunities, not lost cheese. That means you want to maximize either your ability to attract mice (accuracy bonus) or your ability to catch them (power). The Stone base does neither. It is an excellent base for intermediate level hunters, but I don't think it is the best choice for the top hunters.

5 comments:

Steph said...

i think you're wrong, the explosive base does not give more power.
With a difference of only 150 power, the stone base add 5% more power as bonus.
So with the deathbot, the difference between the two base is almost none.
With the FF, it's only 50 power

Maligna said...

"My reasoning is that the Stone base optimizes for the wrong problem: staleness of cheese."

This is not what the Trapsmith says...
"Stone Base ( 150 Power )
Power Bonus: 10%
Attraction Bonus: n/a
Luck: n/a
Cheese Effect: Fresh"


The base that makes cheese stale, according to the Trapsmith, is the explosive one;
"Explosive Base ( 300 Power )
Power Bonus: 5%
Attraction Bonus: 5%
Luck: n/a
Cheese Effect: Stale"


My question is: what you said it's based on your own experience with both traps (that to me means more than what the Trapsmith says, of course) or it was a confusion?

Thank you, I'll appreciate a lot your answer!

Amanda said...

sorry if I'm stepping on toes by answering this, but I think I know the answer.

I think they meant that the stone base helps with the problem of having stale cheese... so they know that the cheese effect from the stone base is fresh... and that the cheese effect from the explosive base is stale. and that's a plus for the stone base. but they're saying that the having cheese turn stale isn't the major obstacle of more advanced hunters.

hope that clarifies a little bit.

MILK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MILK said...

u can sell ur old traps if u want to as u wouldnt need it for a long while... but later on in the game... ull need the high tension spring trap but its rather optional in my opinion